Our coffee mornings and support groups are open to all carers registered with Carers Lewisham. They are run on a drop-in basis and are located in various locations around Lewisham. Support groups provide a space for carers to meet other carers in similar situations to their own. Volunteers can offer a listening ear, provide information and help signpost services for advice. Each group may be run by one or more volunteers (with the support of the Carer Support Officer). Between them, they facilitate the session, get the conversation started, make sure everyone has the opportunity to talk if they want to, and generally look out for people.
Duties may include:
- To assist the Carer’s Support Officer in facilitating the carer’s support group session at location as identified and agreed.
- Set up and clear away the room to allow for the session to run smoothly.
- Organising and serving refreshments (tea and snacks)
- Arranging for guest speakers to come to meetings and organising group outings and social events
- Phoning carers to remind them of upcoming group meetings
- Signposting carers to the relevant service for advice, and take messages for the Neighbourhood Support Officer as appropriate.
- Welcome group members and encourage participation and ensure all members who wish to contribute, get a chance to take part in the session.
- Identify if an individual(s) may require more support and assistance than the group is able to offer and feedback to their Carer Support Officer.
- Adhere to the relevant Carers Lewisham policies and procedures, such as Data protection and Confidentiality, Safe Guarding and Health and Safety
- Building positive relationships with Carers by listening to, encouraging and supporting them to participate
- Carrying out general administrative duties e.g. session write-ups and filling out attendance sheets as required
Our ideal volunteer: You will be outgoing with good inter-personal skills and confident speaking to people from all walks of life. You will be approachable and confident. Great group volunteers do more listening than talking, are comfortable listening to the experiences of others and pay attention to their own wellbeing and boundaries. An understanding of the needs and issues relating to Carers is desirable, but not essential.
Time Commitment: Depending on the support group schedule, you will be available for approx. 3-4 hours on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
Location & Expenses: Various locations within Lewisham. Group supported will be agreed by volunteer and Carer’s Support Worker. Travel expenses will be covered by Carers Lewisham, as well as lunch expenses when working over 4 hours.