Carers Lewisham is a charity supporting Carers in the London Borough of Lewisham aged 7 upwards who provide unpaid support to family or friends who could not manage without their help due to illness or disability. We provide a range of services including advice, information, emotional support and breaks.
As a volunteer walk leader, you’ll be helping people in your community to get active and healthy, providing vital support that they otherwise might not get. As well as ensuring walks are friendly, safe and well run, walk leaders are also our ambassadors for walking, Carers Lewisham and Walking for Health – showing people that walking really can make a big difference to their lives.
Duties may include:
- Checking a route and familiarising yourself with it before leading the walk
- Welcoming walkers and giving a brief talk before the walk to make sure everyone is prepared
- Making sure paperwork like registration forms and registers are completed
- Leading and managing walks (usually with other walk leaders) – includes ‘back marking’ or ‘middle marking’ as well as leading at the front
- Making sure walks are welcoming, friendly, enjoyable and safe: following our best practice guidelines and the requirements of your scheme
- Providing information about other walks and basic information about how to keep active
- Signposting carers to the relevant service for advice, and take messages for the Neighbourhood Support Officer as appropriate.
Our ideal volunteer
You will be friendly, empowering and confident speaking to people from all walks of life. You will have an enthusiasm for walking and all its benefits. You should be reliable and punctual and able to take control when needed. An understanding of the needs and issues relating to Carers is desirable, but not essential.
What you will gain
- Full training with a nationally recognised and well respected scheme
- Opportunity to develop your leadership, people management and other skills
- Opportunity to meet new people including like-minded volunteers
- Opportunity to discover more of your local area and spend time in the outdoors
- Opportunity to be more physically active yourself
Depending on the support group schedule, you will be available for approx. 3-4 hours on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
Location & Expenses
Walk location and route to be agreed by volunteer and Carers Lewisham. Travel expenses will be covered by Carers Lewisham, as well as lunch expenses when working over 4 hours.
Training is required to be a walk leader. Training will take place on the 12th and 19th June, in the morning. If you are unable to join this training, why not become a Volunteer Walk Assistant instead?