Info for Carers


Are you new to caring for a friend or family member? 

Has your cared for person had an assessment?

If your cared for person is in need of ‘personal care’ which means help with eating, washing, dressing, toileting, mobility, safety, falls, memory, etc., they will be entitled to get an assessment of their needs by Social Services.

Wellbeing Self-Assessment

Available online to complete for people who need care. This questionnaire will:

  • help identify what support you need
  • guide you to a list of independent support providers
  • give an idea of how much you might be charged for your care

After you have completed the form, the Social Services Team of the London Borough of Lewisham will tell you whether or not you’re likely to be eligible for support from them. You can then request a full in depth assessment of care needs.


Make a Referral

About Us

What's On

Have you had a Carers Assessment?

Are you providing help to your cared for person? You may be entitled to a Carers Assessment even if your cared for person does not want or refuses an Assessment themselves.

This enables you to tell a social worker about what you do for your cared for person and about YOUR needs, for example, to continue in paid employment, support other family members, have a break from caring, and what you are prepared and not prepared to do for your cared for person.

The assessment will tell you if you are eligible for support from your local council.

This support could include being offered money to pay for things that make caring easier. Or the local authority might offer practical support, such as arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break. It could also put you in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to.

The first step in getting a carer’s assessment is to do the online carer’s self-assessment. If you need help to complete the form contact Carers Lewisham, call 020 8699 8686 or email

Carers Lewisham
Waldram Place
Forest Hill
SE23 2LB

Opening Times:
Monday to Friday 9am-5pm


Carers Lewisham is a Carers Trust Network Partner and is accredited by Advice Quality Standard Mark.

We are funded by London Borough of Lewisham, NHS Lewisham (CCG), Children in Need, Donations and Legacies.

Registered Charity No: 1073592
Company Registered in England No: 3681548

All content Carers Lewisham ©2019